Friday, May 20, 2016

Drawing with Peace

By Hamad Saleh

My name is Hamad Saleh, I am half Emirati and half Iranian. I am a student in the American University in Dubai and study Digital production and storytelling. My interest in art is usually observing and appreciating the beauty of it. However, I am not capable of making art although I appreciate the hard work put into it.
For my artwork, although I did not have any good experience with drawing, I decided at first that I wanted to draw it in the traditional way because I wanted to experience the ways that people used to draw calligraphy with, but due to many failed attempts, it was very hard to make it look organized and well proportioned. However, at some point I realized that if I added some modernity into it, it would be easier for a beginner.
I used an IPad and a drawing application to draw the calligraphy, I want to show people that even though calligraphers usually draw with paper and pen, there is no harm in trying the modern method to draw calligraphy, because it can help us learn doing it in an easier way.

            The process of doing this calligraphy was very long and hard, I had to draw it at first and it was really messy so I had to repeat it several times until I got the form that I want, but in the end I managed to get the proper form and spent hours on just defining it properly. However, during the whole process of this, including the messing up part, was all very peaceful for me because while drawing it, I found it to be very peaceful because it felt like I was taking a journey with myself, the journey made me feel so relaxed and stress-free, I felt a huge inner peace in which I did not even realize that I spent at least 3-5 hours in just drawing it now.

No comments:

Post a Comment